For me, it manifests in the form of a vicious cycle – browsing online shops and style websites. Becoming dissatisfied with what I have. Thinking I should dress in a more exciting way, more thoughtful, more colorful, different, better! Followed by browsing more and feeling even more bored and unhappy with my wardrobe. Envy creeps in, slowly but surely. Why does everyone have so many great clothes? How can they afford it? Why can’t I have what they have? I catch myself in the tenth or fifteenth round in the cycle, reprimand myself. The next day it starts again.
I’m in the middle of the vicious cycle right now so I told myself to brainstorm. What can I do to step out of the cycle?
- I can browse my own wardrobe and figure out what I’m still excited about or at least satisfied with.
- I can figure out if there are any gaps in my wardrobe that hold me back from enjoying what I have.
- I can think of outfits I recently wore and felt good in – what was different about them? Why did they feel fresh and exciting? (Surprisingly the objectively quite boring outfit in the picture – I’m still in love with these Closed jeans and they felt nice with my trusty white high tops)
- I can step out of my head: did someone else comment positively on an outfit recently? What did they see that I didn’t?
- I can buy one or two accessories that let me have the rush of something shiny and new without being a huge commitment.
- I can opt out of browsing online shops.
- I can do a reality check: didn’t I buy something new just recently? Have I worn it in different ways already?
- I can remind myself of the times I already stepped out of the cycle. How did I do it?
- I can think of ways that give me a similar experience/emotion as buying clothes, like trying out a new recipe or taking pictures of nature or doing something new in my city.
- I can focus on the aspects of my current outfit that I feel good about right now. There is usually something, even if it’s something small like the color of my socks or the buttons on a shirt.
Does wardrobe boredom happen to you sometimes? What does it feel like for you? What do you do to step out?